Friday, June 3, 2011

Open letter to Mecklenburg County Commissioners on WTVI funding

In reading the May 31, 2011, article in the Charlotte Observer about the potential of WTVI being completing cut out of any funding from Mecklenburg County, I was surprised. Given the tremendous amount of budget cut-backs you’re facing, I can understand the necessity of “cutting back” but not “cutting out.”

With the emphasis on the importance of education we’re facing in Charlotte-Mecklenburg it seems imperative to me that we keep WTVI’s programming available to viewers in our county because the station offers interesting, impactful and topical programs targeted to young children, middle-school children, high school students, and adults … with virtually no cost to viewers.

Many of the families who turn to WTVI for educational programming depend on the type of programming offered and cannot afford other resources to obtain it. Senior citizens who cannot get out of their houses, handicapped individuals of all ages who have difficulty getting transportation, young children who spend time in front of a TV set every day because they’re at home with babysitters, working men and women who can’t afford to attend the opera, or ballet, or political forums, or science conventions, or even movie theaters … all are dependent on WTVI for quality educational programming.

Speaking for myself, I do not use our parks nor do I use our social services, yet I completely understand the importance of those entities for others who depend on them. The same reasoning should be considered in determining the importance of maintaining operations at WTVI.

I humbly ask that you consider including WTVI in your budget to this excellent, educational station on-air for the thousands of Mecklenburg County citizens who consider it essential. As I do.

Many thanks for your consideration of my plea and I send you my gratitude for the time and effort you each put into making Charlotte-Mecklenburg a great place to live and work.

Marilynn Bowler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers